Friday, January 9, 2009

What's your new year resolutions or goals??

I am the post-it note/list making queen... really, it's bad (our computer area is like a sea of yellow stickies everywhere! lol). So, of course, on Jan 1st I sat down and made a list of goals I'd like to achieve this year. I'll share the top one today, maybe more later ~

* The most important for me is to loose these 20 pounds that I've been hanging onto for 5 years now. And to help my husband lose weight and my children to be healthier too. So, that means eating healthier (no fast food! I will soooo miss my McD's bacon biscuit though but my thighs won't! lol) and definitely more exercise (and walking from the computer desk to the couch does NOT count! lol). I've started reading "You On A Diet" by Dr. Oz & Dr. Roizen {very good read, btw} and walking on my treadmill too. After wiping all the dust bunnies off the treadmill, I think it's happy to finally be used instead of just hanging clothes on! ha ha

I think I've done fairly well with my goal so far... 9 days in. :) I went thru the pantry & refrigerator and cleared out the bad foods (the kids were totally bummed, like seriously sad). I went grocery shopping and only bought fresh fruits & veggies and basic staples for the kitchen. I successfully steered clear of all the boxed foods aisles, that is a big no-no now. Well, okay, I confess that I did buy some Pringles chips for the kids lunch but ONLY because I had a super duper coupon. Plus, by this point the kids were looking really depressed with all the healthiness in our shopping cart. ;) I came home and cut up all the broccoli & cauliflower for healthy snacks. I rinsed the grapes and put them in a container. I put out the apples & bananas on the table. I did spend wayyyy over my grocery budget ($181 after coupons & in-store savings! eek!) but I bought a lot of things that we didn't have (extra virgin olive oil; canola oil; whole wheat flours, yeast, etc), it all adds up quickly I guess. But all-in-all, it's important that we all get on the right track with our health and poor eating habits.

My DH's top goal is to buy only "made in the USA" items and to try to buy local produce (until we can grow our own). He thinks the US has really sold itself out and I agree. But do you know how hard it is to buy anything at Walmart with this kind of a goal? Oh man, it's hard! Last week on our "date night" we made a late night Walmart shopping trip (I know, fun fun!) -- and got 23 items on our list that were ALL made in the USA. The only thing we couldn't buy was his sandwich bags (made in Thailand?); and I gave in and bought a pillow (made in China but stuffed in the USA, ha ha). But it was a fun challenge!

So that's our top goals for this year. What's yours??

No comments:

Post a Comment