Monday, March 30, 2009

Talk about a learning curve!

We've had such a busy, crazy, fun weekend. Whew!

If you read my post below, then you saw that we became rather quick (very unplanned) chicken owners. I've had so much to learn ~ and even though I've been reading all about chickens/random farm stuff --> all that "knowledge" that I thought I had went straight out the window once we walked in with the chicks! lol

They've been lots of fun to have around; even if they are in my living room (lol). It's so neat to watch them ~ I love how they just fall asleep so fast (sometimes while still standing up! sometimes all stretched out! sometimes they look not so alive either so I have to check for breathing!) and we love how they stretch their little legs out when they've been sitting down too long. Just when they've all fallen asleep... it never fails that one will jump up chirping loudly and wake them ALL up again -- then they run around for a few minutes, settle back down, fall asleep, and do it all over again! They've officially been named by Katelyn as the "chick gang". Here is a picture from this morning of a few of them standing in the food dish... yeah, I know it's a Christmas mini-loaf pan --> I'm all about repurposing (my Michaels 10 cent after Christmas special from 2 years ago!) ... and it's the best I could find for now until they grow more! :)

Below is todays chick pic! :)


And Cole didn't end up with a bunny after all. I knew that would be a no-go once he started talking about he'd play with the bunny... and feed/water it... but I'd have to clean the poopy cage up everyday. Ummm, no. So we went yesterday and he picked out a cute dwarf hamster and all the fixings to go with it using his birthday money. He is very excited to have his 1st animal that even lives in his room! ;) And the bonus is... it's smaller... it makes less poop... and he gets to clean the cage himself! Yay, win for me! ha ha Here are a few pics of "Peanut" the hamster, who is a girl and lives in a Bolt cage with her very own plastic couch & TV. She stays up all night exercising loudly in her wheel and she even has a look-out tower on the top of her cage. She's one lucky girl, huh? :)

Cole is so excited!
sleeping in her TV? :)

Have a wonderful day everyone! Oh, and I posted on my housebuilding blog but I'll mention it here too --> we're getting our electrical inspection today, which means we may finally get lights on IN our house which doesn't involve using a big, long electrical cord. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we pass our inspection!

1 comment:

  1. We have a Tractor Supply near our house, and I ALMOST came home with some chicks last year! I LOVE baby animals, and I tried to convince my husband that we could raise some hens for eggs (in our zoning we are allowed 4 chickens go figure, even though we live on a golf course...the doctor across the 17 fairway has chickens!)

    But then we flip flopped on the idea... he was game, and I realized I already clean up too much poop as it is around my house. Maybe when my son is old enough to clean a chicken coop, we'll reconsider.

    Sorry it took a while to send you the invite to my blog. I rarely check my gmail account :-)

    ReplyDelete