Thursday, February 19, 2009

Something about Mary... and more

I've been wanting to blog about this for a bit, but haven't took the time to sit down and type it. This is probably therapy for me, but way boring for you. So try to read till the end, I promise it's not just sadness... it gets better, there is a point to all this rambling. And my DH says that my blog is too funny for him, hmmm... he may rethink that after this post. ;)

The month of January for the past few years has been a real down-in-the-dumps kinda month for me so I usually try to keep myself busy so I don't have time to sit and sulk about it. January 21st is my dads birthday, he died in 1996 after a car/train collision. I was 19 years old. My parents divorced when I was 3 and I really didn't get to really hang out with him a lot until I was 16 or so and driving myself. He did get visitation when I was younger but there's something about me driving myself over there that makes it more meaningful, I don't know. But I do cherish the years that I had with him and I'm thankful. Maybe one day I'll feel like doing random blog therapy about the circumstances of his death; and how his death has affected everyone who knew him. It's a story that maybe could touch someone else. All I care to say at this point is please don't drink & drive; and please don't ride in a car with someone who has been drinking either {that doesn't make you any safer than you driving yourself}. It only takes 1 second and 1 bad choice to change your life forever; your families life; your childrens life; the lives of those other people sharing the road with you... please don't drive under the influence.... ever.

My great-grandma {who practically raised me} died in early January 2006. She was the best "grandma" a little girl could have; stern but loving & cuddly too; my true best friend; she loved people unconditionally and didn't judge others, regardless of their good or bad choices; she was Christian and was so strong in her faith without shoving it down your throat; she led by example, by her actions, not by just talk; she was strong willed but caring; she'd give you the shirt off her back, plus a good meal to go with it just in case you needed it too. She was married for 57 years before my granddaddy passed away from cancer in 1984; they raised 8 kids in a 2 bedroom house that my granddaddy built for her with his own hands. Their kids went on to give them tons of grandkids and great-grandkids and even great-great-grandkids, it's a big family. Although no-one in my family ever had a lot of money, she still found a way to make everyone feel special. She'd make sure everyone had a christmas present... now, it may have been wrapped up in recycled wrapping paper that she'd saved from last year, but it was wrapped atleast! Oh, and with a recycled bow too! :)

She was 95 years old when she passed on and probably healthier than me until she started getting sick... she went downhill pretty quickly after that and for several months didn't know who any of us were. It was a really hard time and I found myself struggling between being a stay-at-home mom to 2 children; a 4 year old & a baby and trying to make quality time to spend with her. Plus trying to accept that she didn't really know who I was at all. It was all so hard. Whew, getting off track here, so all this to say she was so awesome and I miss her soooo much. I miss her being here but I know she's an angel now.

Fast forward to now --> Last month a message board I'm on told everyone about a little lady that she'd met during a nursing home trip to see someone else. This lady is 83 years old and named Mary. She lives in New York. Mary told her how she'd had her own farm and loved living in the country until she had a tractor accident. Her farm was sold (I assume) and she was put in the county nursing home there. She doesn't have any family or friends to visit her. She spends her days looking out her little bitty window in her room reading magazines {the country'er the better}. She misses her old life. How sad...

As I was reading the post about Mary, her story touched my heart and what perfect timing too... honestly if Mary lived closer to me, I'd pick her up and bring her to our little bit of Tennessee country to live with us. :) And my husband thinks it's bad that I bring stray kittens home... what about a cute little old lady?? :) Sorry, had to joke or I'd cry!

So, instead of sitting around here being stuck in the past and sulking about those I miss... I had a mission -- a mission to send Mary a sweet care package. I got the kids in on it too. My 5 year old colored "Ms. Mary" 2 pictures that she very thoughtfully picked from her coloring book. My son helped me pick out some travel size items {lotion, soap, chapstick, socks, handwipes, sanitizer, etc.} and we put in a country living magazine for her to read. We picked out a small furry Valentines bear and I bagged up some yummy Hershey kisses for her to have {we made sure she could have sugar first though!}. I also got her a little flower she could plant in her window, it's self contained and she could just add water. I put in a little note about who we were and that we hoped that she liked the little package -- I hope she doesn't think we're stalking her. :) My message board friend will hopefully get to stop by to visit Ms. Mary soon so hopefully we'll hear that she got it okay.

I hope Ms. Mary liked her care package from some random Tennessee mom as much as we liked getting it all together for her. It made my heart happy to do it for her; the kids enjoyed it and it's so important for me that they give to others, big or small... it just feels good. And Ms. Mary got her package on Feb. 12 {per delivery confirmation}, two days before Valentines Day. :) I'm going to send her another card today just so she continues to get mail.

And now I'm on a mission to find a local Ms. Mary. We have a local county nursing home in the town over that I'm sure someone would love to have visitors, cards or care packages. Maybe you could find a Ms. Mary (or even Mr. Mary (Marvin?)!} in your area. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment