
Today me, DH and the kiddos took a drive after breakfast about 20 minutes up the road to "Old Stone Fort State Park". Honestly, I never knew it was there -- whoops! I've never been a history buff but the older I get, the more interesting it all becomes. It's not a very big place but it's so full of neat history, we just spent time soaking it all up. The kids even commented how much fun it is to learn there versus sitting in a desk reading about it in a book! Over 2,000 years ago the park was (what is believed to have been) a Native American ceremonial site. It has this really cool large mound that has a river flowing on both sides. The museum had so many neat things that have been found there on the grounds, made me realize how clueless I am about history I guess.
What was really sad was that this same area was almost developed in the 1960's to be a lake-front subdivision! Whew, glad that fell through and the state was able to purchase the land. It's just beautiful -- large tall trees, wildlife, a neat old rehabbed bridge, rippling waters, and a peaceful feeling that was so nice (and so much needed!). We are hoping to go back next time and camp -- and use those hiking trails too {versus eating all the roasted marshmallows!}.
Today on the way to the park we spotted a cow that had gotten out of the fence and was almost on the main (way too busy for a cow) highway. The old house nearest the pasture was obviously vacant so we stopped and told a neighbor, then we tried to herd the cow back away from the main road as we could and into the yard until the owner could come open the gate. Yep, cow herding in a minivan! ha! I bet that cow was laughing at us! :)
But the house intrigued me though, it looked lonely. Weird huh? That I think a house is lonely? I mean that you could tell that it once had a family who lived there and loved it and now it was just there... all alone... paint chipping, gutters falling off, bushes/grass/trees/steps overgrown. So I came home and done some research on the house. It was built in 1936 and sits on 135 acres, the farmer who once farmed those fields and tended to that house has since died, even his children are almost all gone.
Maybe it just reminds me of my great-grandmothers house... the house that my grand-daddy built her with his own hands, the house that raised 8 children in only 2 bedrooms plus all the extra grandchildren and great-grandchildren that never seemed to leave... the house that we had every single holiday at and even though we were all a very tight fit you always felt at home... the house that I've owned now since grandma passed away in 2005 and I can't seem to even fix up because I can't imagine it not being "their house", so it's "lonely" too just like this one I saw today. Ahhhh, bitter sweet I suppose. One day, one day.
Anyways, it got me to thinking -- I remember being a young child and wanting the biggest, fanciest house I could ever dream of... like, hmmm, maybe the Barbie Mansion (lol) -- but now as I get older (and hopefully a little wiser for my 32 years of age!), I find that the simple joys in life are what really matters. Kinda like history; or your personal life legacy... what do you want your legacy to be? That you were a good person; were compassionate to those in need; would give the shirt off your back to someone who needed it more; caring; thoughful; loyal; trustworthy; happy; loving... these are just some that I hope can be said about me one day even if I live in a shack or a mansion or a tent or a camper. Even this little house below that is behind that big house above that's for sale looks good!

So I don't look forward to having that fancy barbie mansion anymore -- but I do look forward to having farm animals on our perfect comfy cozy house that my husband is building for our family; happy children playing in our creek; learning how to plant vegetable gardens; flowers in bloom; sounds of our tractor; pretty trees and colored bushes; freshly cut haybales; butterflies; hummingbirds; and a fancy chicken coop -- yep, that's my new fancy. :)
So today for me has been quite nice, peaceful and thought provoking. I like those kind of days I guess... sure beats just sitting around cleaning house (again!) and watching Dr. Phil. :)

Your dream sounds perfect. My dream as well, just a simple life! Love that old house, it holds such history and if only it's walls could talk...it could tell wonderful stories (as well as sad, I'm sure)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. I loved visiting your blog tonight:)