*The kids soccer season ended, they both loved it and are looking forward to the next playing season. Katelyn had an absolutely wonderful coach who didn't mind when she cried her head off during the first game and Cole's team won every single game they played. He was really stoked after losing every game last season. :)
*The kids school year is over. Katelyn will be in 1st grade and Cole got promoted to 5th grade. Katelyn was blessed was such a wonderful teacher for kindergarten, we sure will miss her. I wished that I could clone her to be Katelyns 1st grade teacher too. Cole is looking forward to a great upcoming year. He had a rough year this year so I'm praying for a good 5th grade teacher that will re-ignite his love of learning. They are both super excited about summer break and have kept me crazy busy every single day since the minute they got out of school! :)
*The chickens are getting sooo big. All 10 are still alive (much to my surprise!) and they now live in Katelyn's old playhouse that my hubby converted into cool chicken living quarters... they love it! We just might get our first eggs within several weeks. They are carb chickens -- they won't eat fruit or vegetable treats... but they'll ripe your hand off for some break or spaghetti noodles! Hmmm, they must take after me! ha ha They sure are fun to watch too! It's like a soap opera -- they cluck at each other, scratch for goodies in the dirt together, and then puff up really big to show who's bigger on the chicken bossy-gal list.
*The new house is coming along slowly. It seems like we get one thing done and then stall for another month of the next project. Honestly, it's been the biggest stress ever and has put me in such a funky mood at times. There are just so many details and when it's a DIY project, it just makes it all that more stressful I guess. We've been building for almost 2 whole years. The good news is that everyday we're getting a little closer to move in day! Hip hip hooray! It will all be worth it in the end; when exactly is "the end"... well, we haven't quite figured that out yet! lol
*We've been foster parents now for over 2 years... and I put our home on hold a few months ago until we move in the new house and get settled. I just felt like I needed the break after our last placement left (an 18 month old girl who was physically abused by her parents, but returned back to them we no penalties within 6 months... too soon, too rushed, too much swept under the rug IMHO). I felt run-down and my kids deserved my 100% attention again. I got so wrapped up in that case, trying to advocate for the sweet little girl. It was hard. So I think I must be sick because I actually miss fostering... I don't miss DCS being so involved in my day-to-day life, I just miss the kids. I'm thinking we'll do foster-to-adopt when/if we decide to open our home back up. I'd love to adopt. It's all just been on my mind lately and I'm not sure why.
*On a much brighter note :) I went back to college to be a teacher! After years of thinking about going back to finish my degree and flip-flopping about changing my degree from nursing to elementary education (and losing lots of credit along the way, bummer); I applied, jumped through tons of hoops, and finally met with my education advisor to see what classes I needed. Everyone has been really nice & supportive so far... I figured they'd laugh me right outta the building. :)
*I took a May summer class that lasted 3 weeks... yep, one whole semester in a 3 week course = craziness!! It was nice because I took my class while the kids were in school. It's been a L-O-N-G time since I was up at 1:30am doing homework though. I made an *A* in the class so all the busy days & sleepless nights were worth it I suppose. And I've signed up for more classes in the fall if we can afford it (keeping my fingers crossed).
*I've been trying to grow tomatoes and that's not going so well. I've got 6 plants on the patio here at the rental house in 5-gallon buckets; and 8 or 10 more planted in a big dirt hill at the new house. I thought for sure that the dirt hill plants would just die but I had no where else to plant them -- and didn't want to spend anymore $$$ on buckets either -- so wouldn't you know that they actually look better than my patio bucket ones?! Go figure! I guess because it was a cow pasture for years, and years, and years, all that cow poop made some super awesome dirt so the tomatoes are loving it there. I've got a lot to learn if I want to ever actually grow anything! lol
Anyways, that's been about it for us. :) I can't wait to catch up with what everyone else has been doing.
~Ashley

Glad to see you back! I was starting to worry!!! Love the chicken coop (play house) that's a great idea!
ReplyDelete