Monday, August 3, 2009

And I didn't even need a Topsy Turvy!

We've really had a lot of fun so far with our tomato growing experiment. I planted 6 tomato plants in 5-gallon buckets... and the remaining 12 plants went straight into a dirt pile down at the new house. I thought for sure that these 12 would die, but thought I'd be worth a shot anyway (versus throwing them away because I was NOT going to buy anymore buckets at almost $3.00 a piece!). But instead it was the other way around -- the bucket tomatoes have not done well at all, over half has died, and two plants have one little itty-bitty tomato a piece slowly growing on them. These in the dirt pile on the other hand, are crazed!

So here they are the day we planted them, 6/15/09... you can barely tell the tomato plants from the grass and other stuff growing (lol) This was sooo not planned. ~
and 10 days later (really!), they looked like this... all organized & cute
Our first baby tomato! Awww... :)


And now, welcome to the wild tomato garden just 4 weeks later! Tomatoes are growing every which way!! The little bamboo stakes didn't last long at holding these wild guys up, next year I'll have to come up with a better plan. :)


But we sure are looking forward to having yummy, delicious organic tomatoes soon. On just one plant alone, I counted 14 tomatoes... which is probably more now! The first ones are starten to ripen and turn red. I've better figure out something to do with all of them -- salsa, spaghetti sauce...???. This picture was actually taken 2 weeks ago and the tomatoes have almost doubled their size since then.



And I thought I needed a Topsy Turvy to make them grow! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment